Saturday, December 31, 2011

I Resolve: No Resolutions

This last day of year 2011 finds me with too many things to do that I'd rather not have to do; at least, not today. I wanted to write a serious post, one that requires serious thought and analysis of my chosen subject; that being, Where Do I Go From Here?  (Redundancy intentional.)


It isn't that I haven't a clue to answering that question, just that I want to give it the undivided attention it deserves. Instead, I have errands to run, housework that MUST be done (absolutely must be done - my house is beginning to resemble a rabbit warren.)


One thing I will not waste time on is making resolutions for the coming new year. I never keep them. Maybe I should resolve to keep my resolutions. No, not on your life! It won't work, trust me! I know me too well.

What will happen is that for the first couple of weeks in January, I will remember the list of resolutions first thing every morning, pointing out to myself that I haven't made any effort to keep even the simplest of them.  Next comes the the compromise that, okay, so I didn't do it yesterday, but I can do it today! Just as soon as I get X, Y and Z accomplished this morning. By early afternoon, then. Well, for chrissake, before bedtime, anyway!

The next morning starts off the same and goes on thusly for perhaps ten days. At which point, the resolutions have become a niggling, nagging, mosquito-whiny something-or-other thing I was supposed to recall upon rising. The word resolutions has faded from conscious memory, and my subconscious has dug its grave, laid the banana peel at the edge of the hole and is waiting quietly for the word to wander by, whereupon it will be guided to take a look at what's at the bottom of the grave. You know the rest of the slap-stick routine.


Now, see? I could have spent the twenty minutes or so that it has taken me to scribble  write TYPE this nonsense thinking about the more important things I wanted to say. But, no-o-o-o! I'm going to post this, sans picture (sans relevance?) then run my errands.


What was it I said I would do today, while I was sitting on the side of my bed, trying to wake up this morning?

Aha! I have a resolution I know I can keep. I resolve: to take a pad of paper and a pen upstairs for my bedside table, so that I can write this stuff down at the moment the thoughts occur. In fact, I will place them on the stairs as a reminder.  Before I run the errands.  Yes, that's what I'll do!


(Keystone Cops moment: woman slips on ignored pen, still on stairs the next morning, and slides down the steps, face up, head first. Airborne pad of paper lands on her face. On the top sheet of paper, in bold face, two-inch capital letters, is her note-to-self: TAKE THIS UPSTAIRS! Fade to black.)

20 comments:

Zhoen said...

Dance more, sing more, smile more. No damn resolutions.

The Crow said...

Couldn't agree more, Zhoen.

(And pet the cat more.)

Roderick Robinson said...

How about this resolution: swap the two-decker for a bungalow and live longer.

Bungalow? Doesn't sound American. Ranch?

Whatever - LOOK AFTER YOURSELF!

The Crow said...

Okay.

susan said...

I too resolve to make no resolutions other than to remain inconsistent.

Wishing you the best New Year.

The Crow said...

Susan:
I took to heart (and possibly misunderstood) Emerson's quote about a foolish consistency being the hobgoblin of little minds.

Inconsistency is more adventurous.

Anonymous said...

I can fail easily enough, and do with regularity. There is no reason to set myself up with more.

HNY, Crow!!!

The Crow said...

Exactly, Jim; me, neither!

Connie said...

You make me smile, Martha. I don't do well with resolutions either. Wishing you a happy new Year filled with all good things! :-)

The Crow said...

Thank you, Daisy. I wish the same for you and your loved ones, as well.

Should Fish More said...

I'm going to take a shower, go to the beach and take a walk. Tomorrow the Rose Bowl and watch my beloved Ducks, either celebrate a moment or whine afterwards. The next day will take care of itself. Ditto the week, month, etc.
Enjoy the moment when possible, good luck, Martha.
Mike

The Crow said...

That sounds like a great plan, Mike. Southern California this time of year can be very nice, indeed.

I suppose I have made a resolution of sorts, but didn't realize it until I read your comment: take life one day at a time. (Never hurts to have a map in the hip pocket, though, for when the territory is foreign, or bad weather looms overhead.)

:-)]] (those brackets represent double chins, which show up when I grin)

Wishing you and your loved ones a great new year, too.

Unknown said...

The thing about resolutions is to make them regardless. If you don't keep them never mind. Unkept resolutions are like buried seeds waiting to germinate. The best of yours though should be kept. Yes, write down your thoughts, whenever you can and then post them. A little note book does no harm, something to treasure. Do it. Happy New Year, Martha. Floreat.

The Crow said...

Then, I resolve to fourish, to bloom, to grow, to not only survive but to thrive.

Also, to plot my course, document my journey - pot-holes and all - and pay attention to the lessons, the signs, portents and omens, observed along the way.

Thank you for the toast, Plutarch. Or blessing, if that is what you intended.

Fresca said...

Yes, to your above resolutions!

After all, why should our "resolutions" be a stick we beat ourselves with? Why shouldn't they, rather, be *encouragement* to open our hearts and minds?
In whatever form works best for us.

The Crow said...

Hello, Fresca:

After reading all the comments here, I am reconsidering my "No Resolutions" resolution. I like you idea that they be encouragements, which I follow better than rules, anyway.

Thank you for that interpretation.

Anne said...

I read somewhere that Einstein was asked by another scientist if he carried a notebook with him to write down his ideas. He supposedly replied, "No, I don't need to because I so seldom have any."

I often think I have thought of something really great to blog about (especially after a glass of wine) but when I sit down to write it ... my head is empty!

Lucy said...

Somehow I missed this post.

Though I am on the whole pretty damn irresolute, I'm nevertheless inclined towards Plutarch's view, and feel a few hopeful impulses and aspirations can be cheering. I would quite like some kind of pencil and paper implant so I didn't have to look for one or remember to carry one about...

Happy New Year, howsoever, dear Crow!

Harlequin said...

however and whyever you manage to do it, write more.... you are wonderful.

kim said...

The American Dream is our religion.

1. Success is always financial.
2 Life is entertainment, i.e. the Superbowl, Disneyworld.
3. Everything is always getting better.