Thursday, December 29, 2011
Celebrating Leonard
A recent discussion of Leonard Cohen and his music started at Lorenzo da Ponte's blog, then moved to Avus' blog, where he posted one of the many LC songs that move me, that touch my soul, that stir my heart – feel free to substitute any other clichéd (but sincere) phrase used to express adoration.
I fell for Leonard Cohen’s writing when I was 22, when I first heard his song, “Suzanne.” His song title became my daughter’s middle name. As LC has aged, so has his voice, once as smooth as the skin on his face, but now wrinkled by time and smoke, and living, into the seductive (to my ears) gravelly growl that only endears him to me all the more.
You can hear the change from youth to older man in these two links.
Another of his songs that I cherish: Dance Me to the End of Love.
Happy New Year, everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
All I can say is I'm glad I got in first. Couldn't follow that.
Crow: I found Leonard with "Suzanne," too, and have never looked back. With that aged and gravelly voice he's even better than ever. "Dance me to the end of Love" is sublime. I could listen all night.
I remember listening to the Famous Blue Raincoat with Cary in her apartment in NW DC way back when. I read recently about a performance he did in SF, seems he was still great.
Hope your new year is good, Martha. I'm ensconced in LA, settling in for a long stay. I'm pleased to be off the road, your comments on my last post were spot-on.
Mike
Well done Crow for flying Leonard's flag! I have been a very great fan since the early '70s, when he was not the "fashion". But now he is, and worldwide recognition seems to have almost surprised him in old age. He goes down a storm in Germany.
I, too, love "Suzanne". Other favourites (if one can sort from the many) are "Joan of Arc" from his early work and "I'm your Man" from later songs.
I saw him at the Royal Albert Hall, London in 1990 - he filled it for 3 days of performances, holding audiences in the palm of his hand. Forever to be remembered as a highlight of my musical life.
LdP: This isn't a competition, you know. You just happened to mention one of my all time favorite songwriter-singers, whose lyrics would have been right at home in any beat bar/poetry house of the 50s. I'm glad you posted about him.
Carolyn, there is something about the rhythm of that song that is conducive to listening for long periods.
Mike, hope you like your time in L.A. I googled FBR when I read your comment, had never heard it before. Cool song.
Avus: yes, "I'm Your Man" makes me weak in the knees. I also like "Everybody Knows," and "The Partisan," which Joan Baez made famous.
Good for you that you got to see him in person!
cohen is an icon. lovely tribute.
happy new year.... many blessings.
He is pretty phenomenal, isn't he?
And an overabundance of blessings to you and your loved ones, Harlequin. Happy New Year!
It had already been a very long time that new song lyrics in English moved my body and spirit into to indescribable ecstasies. Then I saw the I'm Your Man video and was captured one more time. It's impossible to pick a favorite but since it hasn't been mentioned yet I must offer Closing Time as another extraordinary piece. He's able to transform human emotions into transcendent realms.
Susan, I didn't know "Closing Time," but found it a few minutes ago after reading your comments. Extraordinary, indeed.
There is something in the music, the rhythm, perhaps, that reminds me of the Cajun two-step tunes I first heard in my teens. I found myself up on my feet, two-stepping around the office while listening to this song. Thanks for the pointer.
Post a Comment