Wednesday, July 6, 2011

All Is Not Lost


I brooded about the lost story files and writing notes for a couple of days, then tried the thumb drives again. The drives I was certain contained my work were password protected, but the password screen didn't pop up. When I right-clicked on properties, the graph showed that the drives were full, so where the heck were the files?

A puzzlement, something I decided to let Brain figure out while I slept. When I awoke, I remembered the files came up the last time I used them, which was at work, a couple of years ago. Perhaps I should use the office computer to check the drives one last time before having to take the original computer out of storage and look there? Sometimes Brain works best when I get out of her way.

Today (Wednesday), I tried all eight drives at work and every last one of them opened. One of them had a leftover McAfee renewal link attached to it, that might have been challenged by Norton, which is on the new computer. The ones protected by passwords might have been rejected by Norton, too, but there were no error messages, so I don't know why things didn't work at home. I removed the McAfee files from the one drive and passwords from all the others.

I found all the files I thought were lost. Joy, joy, joy!

Thank you,
Brain.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love it when all those security features conspire to protect all those files? It leaves me to wonder sometimes if the Creator might have applied password protection to this world, and now she can't get back to it, leaving us to our own relatively poor devices.

The Crow said...

That would explain almost everything, Jim. Makes perfect sense!

Anne said...

My old brain doesn't manage these newfangled devices like computers. I must rely on putting it all on paper if I want it not to get lost.

Lucy said...

What joy to find things again!

Good to be hearing from you again.

Zhoen said...

Huzzah!

The Crow said...

Anne: Some of my earliest writing is on paper. It was written before I got the hang of backing up files. I need to go on a paper chase.

Hello, Lucy. Yes, finding stuff I thought was lost does lift the spirits.

Zhoen: Right back at you!

Harlequin said...

it's so good when that kind of stuff works out. the mind is amazing... isn't it wild when stuff seems to work itself out while you're asleep??
glad it all worked out....

your past few posts have been lovely narratives....you do such nice work describing the resilience of everyday trials and triumphs.

The Crow said...

Harlequin - It seems I do some of my best problem solving while I'm asleep. I need to take more naps!