Sunday, February 13, 2011

Great Day in the Morning

Not much to report yet in my neck of the woods.

In the kitchen, the dishwasher is growling through its cycles, an annoying noise, but satisfying in that it signifies I am on a cleaning binge (about time!).

Outside, the snow lies in tattered splotches atop grasses that are beginning to push upward. I've started watching for the winter aconite and the snowdrops.

New hatch of crows are being shown the neighborhood by parents and older siblings. Funny - they mewl like kittens sometimes when they're this age, with one or two trying out their crow voices, imitating Ma and Pa. Reminds me of teenage boys when their voices crack in mid-word.

The cat is back. I guess the queens are no longer in heat, so he's come back to his nest under the back steps. It was a bit unnerving the other morning, before sunrise, to see two glowing orange dots staring back at me from the top step. Took me a moment to realize the cat was watching me, asking in that silent way of cats to let him in so he could eat. Presumptuous little fart - as if all I had to do in life was spend my grocery money on his food and keep a plate of it at the ready, just in case he should deign visit me. (He knows me entirely too well!)

Going out to a movie with the kids this afternoon. Leaving the Octopus behind, completely, for the first time in four days. We're going to see The Green Hornet, based on one of my favorite comic books from my youth. Hope the movie lives up to my memories of the comics.

Watched The King's Speech the other week - a good movie. We in the audience cheered and applauded when he gave his first speech, and we wanted Bertie to smack David upside the head when he began mocking him. Of course, Bertie didn't, but we all wanted him to - I even said aloud, "Oh, just smack him!" At the rear of the theatre, someone said, "Here, here!"

I hear a rusty gate swinging on its hinges - must be a blue jay nearby, singing to the sun.

Ah, the dishwasher has stopped. Time to unload and reload, then get my shower before the movie date.

Glorious morning; it is, it is!

5 comments:

Steve said...

Two films I have a hankering to see... along with True Grit which opens here next week! Going to the cinema is an expensive business but always worth it!

marja-leena said...

Thanks for the wonderful 'catch-up'! Enjoy the movies with the kids this afternoon!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes simple uneventful is the most glorious description I know.

Zhoen said...

If there is ever a free spay/neuter clinic, your stray should be bagged and brought in.

Cats do go on the assumption that it never hurts to ask.

Bertie wouldn't have been himself if he'd smacked his brother, he'd have been too much like his brother for us to root for him.

The Crow said...

Hello, everyone: Thank you for visiting.

Steve, the movie adaptation of The Green Hornet didn't live up to my memories, but that happens frequently with adaptations. I think this film was geared for the 13-to-16-year-old crowd, but I loved the cars and gadgets! I want to see True Grit, too.

Marja-Leena, we had a good afternoon together, then splurged on dinner out afterwards. Grandson got into the movie more than I did, but we all three want one of those cars.

Jim, I like days like this most of all, just letting life happen.

Zhoen, cat is getting friendlier, so I may be able to bag him before too long. I agree about Bertie. Besides, at the time David was King, so Bertie would have been sent to the Tower for that.