This post is not exactly how I wanted my 200th milestone to turn out, but...well...yo, dogz, dis iz whut it iz, aw-right? (I hope my grandson doesn't see this. I embarrass him with my attempts to use his teen-patois.)
See, it started like this: I learned a new word today - poetaster, pronounced POH-uh-tass-ter, meaning, essentially, a lousy poet. When I said the word aloud, several lines of truly awful rhyme popped into my head, and I thought of rap, that punchy beat, half spoken, half sung music that kids of my grandson's generation find so appealing (I like some of it, too; the not so violent stuff). So I went cruising YouTube for some rap/hip-hop beat instrumentals to post with my drivel and stumbled onto this.
I was stunned. I thought rap, gangsta rap especially, had not escaped our shores. Had no idea it is a world-wide phenomenon.
This video knocked my rap-rhyme right out of my head...at least, for the moment.
Enjoy...I think?
PS: It's raining cats and dogs! Not really - just huge raindrops. There's a tornado watch for our county until seven this evening. Hope they're wrong about that!
4 comments:
Proof, were any needed that, Eminem aside, white guys just cannot rap.
Steve: I was told it was a genetic defect, caused by the same lack or four or so genes responsible for the eumelanin deficiency in caucasians. Eminem is the anomaly which proves the recessive theory.
:-)
(I just remembered that I saw a Samoan group doing rap about diversity and brotherhood out in Seattle almost 17 years ago...but that didn't seem unusual, for some reason. And they were really good!)
You are pretty cool for 63, I think your grandson will be proud. Happy birthday ( I saw that on Karins blog) :)
Oh, yeah, it's the 25th, this must be your birthday!
(I did the math from an earlier comment.)
Do you relate to your sun sign, Leo?
Here is a Hippo Happy Birthday Rap for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzgr_wpdENI
I hope this kicks off a most excellent year!
Me too, I was surprised when I started working on world geography to see how totally international rap and hip-hop is. What goes around comes around, I guess.
I like the design sense of the Finnish rapper Elastinen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIOQtQqd8_o
Post a Comment