
Heat.
Hot.
Hell.
Too hot to think.
Too hot to write.
98F in the shade, heat index 104F.
Last winter, I was thrown into a panic one morning because my house was so cold, my lips were light blue. Tonight I am going to stand under the shower, letting tepid water flow over every inch of my body until everything turns blue.
I filled the bird bath this morning on my way to work so my bird friends could stay cool. This afternoon, the bird bath was half dry and the only visitors were a dozen or so honeybees lined up around the rim, like parched, dusty-throated cowboys bellied up to the bar in some bygone western saloon. I've never seen that before and was amazed when they stayed put while I poured cold tap water into their shot glass. The clover they usually visit for nectar this time of year has dried up, turned a golden brown, just like most of the grass.
Haven't had to cut grass for almost three weeks, and shouldn't try, as dry as it is. Not healthy for the lawn - or for the person pushing the mower.
As hot as it is, and as miserable as we all are feeling in this unusual heat, can't help but wonder how peoples in desert areas get through this kind of weather. Makes me feel like such a piker for complaining.
Time for me to do my midnight rain dance, wherein I strip to the skin (except for flip-flops), put a couple of crow feathers in my braids, take a skillet and metal spoon outside behind the garage (where I can't be seen) and whail the tar out of it.
Doesn't bring on the rain, but it makes me feel better to do it. I just have to make sure I get back in the house before neighbors look out their windows to see what the heck all the noise is about.
Damn, it's hot!
...
(I edited the shower paragraph because the original was tacky, to say the least. I think I'm going crazy with the heat. Or, I'm having a personality meltdown...maybe both!)
...
(I edited the shower paragraph because the original was tacky, to say the least. I think I'm going crazy with the heat. Or, I'm having a personality meltdown...maybe both!)
6 comments:
Acclimatization. When you usually get a lot of heat, even heat and humidity, your body adjusts. Or you get really good AC. And Preparation, like the South froze last winter so badly, at temperatures that Northerners would shrug off. Southerners have few, if any, warm clothing, and no real heaters, unlike the North.
That humidity is a bugger, no question. It can kill as surely as a blizzard. Stay cool, hydrated, as best you can, poor Crow.
the rain dance sounds like a suitable response to the heat.....and as good as any other one right now.
we are suffering in the Niagara region as well..... 40 degrees and humid as hell with air advisories.... I am so looking forward to the mother of all thunder storms..... and I'd settle for the daughter or the pet..... any rain, any relief.
thanks for sharing and expressing the embodied distress and responses so well.
It's been hot here too... slowly turning to a stew of humidity. Nothing worse than the promise of rain that doesn't quite come...
Hello, everyone.
Sorry to hear we're all in the same boat.
Didn't have the nerve to do the rain dance outside, but did a modified one in the shower, minus the skillet and spoon...and the feathers.
No rain today, but there is a breeze stirring things up outside right now. Perhaps rain is on its way.
That's what I'm wishing for everyone - a good soaking rain, with a drop in temperatures to more normal for this time of year.
Yikes--hard to imagine what Global Warming will bring by the end of this century. Daughter Emily just arrived from Boston where it's been 100 deg F with high humidity--she's thankful for our nights in the 30s with daytime highs of high 80s (with low humidity).
I can just imagine how lovely your weather is right now, ER.
Today(7-10), our town awoke to gently falling rain, more like sprinkles, really. We're all hoping it will rain all day, but I don't think it will. Still, we have rain! Most wonderful rain!
Post a Comment