Sunday, June 21, 2009

Waffles, Mwawk and Catching Up

Gastric Beast was awake before I was this morning. I tried to put it off for a couple of hours, but it was having none of it. GB propelled my body out of bed, down the stairs and to the kitchen, but I had to go to the throne room first. It grudgingly waited until I emptied my bladder and brushed my teeth, grumbling louder with each passing minute.

"Feed me," GB warned, twisting and turning my stomach into a pretzel of discontent.

"Just a minute, there, Hotfoot!" I sassed back. "Just who is in charge of this body?"

A loud growl and slight discomfort in the midsection answered my question. (Made me think of a verse in one of Friend BB's poems, this one about rock climbing, which suggested to me that the sole purpose of our arms and legs is to move the body around, that perhaps we would be limbless, brainless, if Torso were content to spend its life in one spot: but, I digress.)

GB and I fixed waffles. I fixed, GB supervised, decided which toppings, decided not to wait for tea or coffee, pinched when I picked up the camera to take the picture above.

I really hate it when GB wakes up before I do. Starts my day off on a sour-stomach note, know what I mean?


I slept in a little longer than usual this morning - which is why GB pushed me out of bed - and I missed the Sunrise Concert. The choir had moved on to other chores, having fulfilled its obligation to the world to raise the sun, so there was very little birdsong. Except for Mwawk, who called off and on for about fifteen minutes, with no answer from Kwawk. Is there trouble in Paradise? Perhaps Mwawk didn't perform the Twig Dance to Kwawk's satisfaction? Mwawk bwawked when Kwawk tocked, and was found tuneless, therefore unsuitable? Cat got Kwawk's tongue...ooooh, I shouldn't even joke like that. I take that back.

Maybe Kwawk will show up later today and there will be a reunion worthy of its own blog-post.

I follow so many blogs I have difficulty reading all of them during my down time throughout the week, so I spend some time this morning catching up. Joe Hyam has added to the ongoing poetry call-and-response he and Lucy are writing together. I was particularly taken with this one.

Oh! You must go read Lucy's Garden Haiku, if you don't do anything else today! Then check out her cathedral photos.

Lindsay has taken me to Africa with lovely pictures and journaling. Michelle posted pictures of some new-to-me flowers. Susan told of carrying rocks for the Atlantic Ocean to its friend the Pacific Ocean. Zhoen introduced me to Paul Erdős, and has posted photos of some dream machines, one of which, a 1965 Triumph TRW, looks like the motorcycle I had my first adventure on, clinging for dear life to the body of its driver, praying I would live to tell my children and grandchildren about it. Harlequin has taken me on an internal journey with her poetry.

These are just a handful of the blogs I read, and I'd better get back to the others, or another day will slip by without being refreshed by glimpses of their worlds.

After that, I'm going for a walk. Today is a knock-em-dead gorgeous day, couldn't possibly be finer. I think the wet weather system of the last couple of days was being pushed along by this high-pressure cell. Lucky us!

(c) 2009 Photo and text. Martha McLemore

8 comments:

Roderick Robinson said...

Just back from France and find that all the bloggers I read have been remarkably fecund in my absence. So forgive me for cherry-picking. I enjoyed your reaction to my rock-climbing bit; needless to say I didn't see it that way when I wrote it but neither did I envisage what I finished up with anyway. Poems, it seems, are like that kid's party game where one kid whispers a message to another else and the messagee whispers it on, etc, etc. In my case I get a brilliant thought (or steal it from someone else), proceed to mangle it at the rate of five di-dahs to a line, go off at a tangent halfway through, and finally find myself wondering what the finished item is all about and - more mysteriously - who wrote it. But this is nothing to what happens in the mind of the person who reads it who experiences a veritable harvest of tangents, few of them enjoyable. I think the best a versifier (I eschew the word poet) can hope for is that someone will break off from reading his/her thing and daydream a bit.

About waffles perhaps. People go on about chocolates being a gustatory sin but waffles easily out-distance them. I was careful not to become addicted when in the US and mainly recall eating them while waiting for my car to be fixed - a means of blurring the apprehensions attendant on these gloomy occasions.

You betray yourself with your plumbing piece - you are no beginner, you can already sling around some of the jargon (for instance, I have no idea what an exchanger is). What's more you appear to have some quite serious tools; the most serious of all being your reading glasses, a reference which I found strangely moving. And the photo of the twisted pipe could easily pass for conceptual art. Far from laughing at what you did, I salute your courage. Concerning pipes and the liquids which flow through them, I am a complete Milquetoast. The sink at our rented villa in France was irretrivably blocked and I called in a man. A better man than me. Electrics are more fun, especially their ability to terrify the uninitiated.

Sorry for the scrappiness. I'm out of practice. More lapidary phrases later.

EcoRover said...

Enjoy that well deserved (sky)walk. Isn't crazy, that we start following so many blogs that we have to steal time to sleep in & enjoy the waffles?

Maria said...

I wish that my GB would complain in the morning instead of in the evening. I eat well and modestly all day long and then suddenly the real cravings awake....after 7 p.m....

The Crow said...

Hello, ER:

It was a beautiful walk. Didn't have any Montana sunsets, though. From viewing your photos, it is easy to see why Montana is called Big Sky country.

:)

The Crow said...

Hello, Maria:

I get those sometimes, too. My cravings used to be ice cream or chocolate. Now it usually is toast with butter and grape jam. I think I'm reverting to my childhood...or GB is.

:)

The Crow said...

BB:

Deleted my initial response.

Glad you are back. I look forward to reading new entries to your blog.

:)

Lucy said...

Ha, welcome to full-on blogging, they're all just too delicious, nearly as delicious as thoes waffles, and you can't get round them all... but thanks for the mentions!

The Crow said...

Lucy,

I so enjoy reading what others have to say. I get to live, vicariously, all the good parts of their lives.

It is my honor to mention your work.

:)