Saturday, June 6, 2009

Six

No, the title of this post is not a typo: the word is Six, not Sex...although one is the root of the other, is it not?
...
Anyway,
Michelle Frost has tagged me to "list six things that are unimportant but make me happy, then tag six others." Rather than tag six others, though, I'll leave this to the discretion of any who might read this post. If you care to list 6 unimportant things that make you happy, please do so.

Here are my six, in no particular order:

Christmas tree lights
sharp pencil leads

the smell of line-dried sheets


mist rising from the mountains



smooth river rocks


Thank you, Michelle, for making me think about some of the joys in life.
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore


12 comments:

Harlequin said...

ok--here's my six: long hot showers, the aroma of coffee, packaging that opens the way it's supposed to, the glow of my desk lamp, rain against me window, finding the cool spot on my pillow

thanks for yours, as well

Zhoen said...

A lovely set.

The Crow said...

Harlequin, those are all good things to me, too. I had forgotten the pleasure of finding the cool spot on my pillow!

:)

The Crow said...

Zhoen:

At first, all I could think of were the important things, like the sound of my grandson laughing when he gets a joke. Maybe, in a way, anything that makes us happy - that harms no one in the process - is important, after all. Makes living joyful.

:)

susan said...

They're all beautiful choices made all the more lovely by your pictures.

Lucy said...

I'm glad I don't have to choose between any of those, they are all so delicious. I love that tiny weed growing up among the pebbles!

The Joined up Cook said...

Isn't this a contradiction in terms?

I've really tried to do this BUT;

If something makes me happy then it becomes important; surely?

For instance, are you seriously saying that mist rising in the mountains is unimportant.

I apologise for sounding like a killjoy; however - I cannot conceive of an unimportant thing making me happy; neutral yes.

Tell you what though, Martha, It has made me think :)

The Crow said...

Susan:

Good old Google came to my rescue once again with just the right images.

:)

The Crow said...

Lucy:

I love the little weed, too. Such determination to live!

Hope you and Tom are each recovering well this day.

:)

The Crow said...

John/AWB:

As I said to Zhoen, above, "Maybe, in a way, anything that makes us happy - that harms no one in the process - is important, after all. Makes living joyful."

This was a difficult assignment. Not in listing things that make me happy, but in finding 'unimportant' things.
Could I exist without ever seeing mist rise from the mountains again? Yes, but my existence would be less rich. If I lost my sight tomorrow, knock wood I don't, I have mental images of rising mist from the years I lived in and near mountains to carry me on.

:)

Unknown said...

Those sharpened lead pencils are profoundly evocative. Like a sheet of beautiful paper, a sharp pencil, smelling of the lead and the wood in which it is encased, is full of promise.

The Crow said...

Joe/Plutarch:

Another thing I like about pencils is the scratchy sound they make when writing or sketching with them.

:)