Saturday, June 27, 2009

Desktop

Site of recent spidercide.


Not much to say this morning; working on payroll taxes for the little Quaker school at my Meeting, for which I volunteer to take care of the bookkeeping stuff.

I wrote, a few posts back, about duct tape being a girl's (old broad's) best friend. Just thought I'd show Duct Tape Use #976 - tea mug holder. Probably wouldn't need it if I kept my desktop clean, but since the tape was already there, and since there wasn't room enough anywhere else to place my mug, I plopped it into the space conveniently provided by the tape manufacturer.

I think this might qualify for one of those things that "works well," which blog-friend Barrett Bonden writes about in his blog. Maybe not. But it works well for me this morning.
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore

10 comments:

Utah Savage said...

I'm going for my duct take now.

The Crow said...

Hey, Peggy!

Duct tape is our friend...and comes in so many pretty colors.

Right now, duct tape is holding my dashboard together. I took it apart to change a light bulb, but lost the screws that held it in place. So, bright purple duct tape is criss-crossed on the glove box. Works beautifully unless the car sits out in the sun for a couple of hours.

:D

Roderick Robinson said...

Is it still duct tape in that fancy blue? For me it has to be silvery grey. Duct tape works well, sure, but it carries an accusatory quality. "This job is just an intermediate bodge," it says sternly, "and eventually it will have to be finished properly." Alas the strength of the fabric and the stickiness of the glue means that we are unwilling to strip the stuff away and start again. In that sense it works too well.

I commend your fearlessness in placing your mug so close to your electricals. I'm on tenterhooks until I've finished the last drop of my coffee. No chance using duct tape to repair a blown computer.

The Crow said...

Good morning, BB:

Truth be told, I prefer the silver for household jobs, probably because it is the first I ever used. But the colors are pretty on the eye. They work as well as the silver.

You are so right about the implied message in a duct tape repair. You should see...well, no you shouldn't...my dashboard repair.

I wouldn't have dreamed of putting that cup there if I hadn't tested out the solidity of the tape as cup holder. I usually put my tea/coffee mug on top of the printer.

:)

Spadoman said...

Your desk looks like my workbench, or any flat space in and around my dwelling. I am a placer of stuff on flat spaces kind of person. As for duct tape, I recall Red Green of Public TV fame. He has had some very creative uses for the stuff. I once contemplated making a bowling ball out of duct tape as an entry into one of Red's contests. I carry a small roll, (of the silver "real" duct tape), in my motorcycle tool kit. I am not suppose to eat or drink at the computer, (to set a good example for the Grandkids), but I do sneak a beverage there and when no one is home, I have my lunch, but don't tell.

Peace.

The Crow said...

Hello, Spadoman Joe:

You and I treat flat surfaces the same way. If they weren't meant to hold things -- lots of things -- why did the universe provide them?

I eat meals at the computer, too. I've been fortunate that I haven't had any accidents yet, but I am very careful. There is a desk with a pull-out tray directly behind my computer desk, on the opposing wall. I set my dishes there. The top of the printer is where I usually put my cups, but it was full of stuff yesterday morning...being a flat surface, and all.

:)

Lucy said...

Did you know duct tape - or gaffer tape as it's known in Britspeak - is like The Force? It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together!

The Crow said...

HA! I knew it was good, Lucy, but didn't realize why!

May the Force be with you!

:D

Relucent Reader said...

The military version of duct tape (probably costs the Pentagon $1000.00 a roll) is called "one hundred mile an hour tape",as it is alleged to hold something securely up to and past that speed.
I have a wallet made of duct tape, a gift from a nephew. I use it on vacations; it impresses the the Bubbas.
Red Green is Master of duct-tapeology, he is on our PBS station Down Here.

The Crow said...

Hello, RR:

Back when I used to have television service, I would occasionally watch the Red Green Show. What a hoot...loved his voice. It grated on my nerves perfectly.

Hope things are well in your neck of the woods.

:)