Thursday, March 12, 2009

Crocitation 3: Hector

Hector, Knave of Hearts

Cawing earnestly
in the chill, early morning

shadows of backyard pines,
I try to lure Hector the Crow

over for a chat, and for a chance
to snap his picture.

This tactic worked once before,

but today the only answer I receive
is the droning buzz
of still-sleepy carpenter bees.

Five minutes pass...
so does my next door neighbor,
Glenn, en route to his pick-up,
heading for work. He shakes his head
in bemusement at my pitiful imitation.

Thank goodness he didn’t mention
the sweet-corn kernels
that blew off my carport roof
onto his back porch in last week’s wind,
nor the twinkling strips
of aluminum foil
I’ve tied to the fence
that divides our yards.

Ten more minutes pass, then twenty.
Still crowless. Obviously, my cawing
has convinced no one this morning;
silenced now, I pick up my camera
and walk toward the house.

As I step out of pine-tree darkness,
sunlight sweeps over the freckled skin
of my forearm, followed closely
by Hector’s gliding shadow.

The crow floats up over the housetop,
flaps his great rustling-silk wings
and flies off toward his mate.

How long had he been above me,
cocking that iridescent head of his
from side to side,
watching me make a fool of myself?

Only when he caws his
rolling-on-the-floor chortle
do I realize how absurd I am,
a crow wannabe. Only then
do I feel embarrassed.

Damned bird!

Beautiful, wild-down-to-his-soul,
cock-of-the-walk-strutting
crow!

Thief of sparkling things -

and of my rabbitty-racing heart.


(C)1998-2009 Martha McLemore

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the visual of you standing amongst the trees cawing
I have a friend who does a really good raven
you made me smile again today

The Crow said...

My crow-speak has gotten better over the ten years since I first wrote this. Hector and Mabel, his mate, succumbed to West Nile virus about 4 or 5 years ago, but their descendants still visit - and laugh at me for trying to be one of them. :D)

human being said...

OMG!

how beautifully the imges merge into each other...
the ending is a WOW! when the crow... the persona... and the reader become one... the real trickster is the poet, eh?
;)

loved it a lot... it made me so excited...

caw caw caw...

The Crow said...

Dear HB, nice to see you again.

Thank you for the compliment on the poem. I like, too, when reader becomes the poet and enters the poetry.

indybev said...

I was there with you, in the shadow of the back yard pines. I saw Glen go to his truck and leave for work. And I saw Hector leave to talk to Mabel about the silly white woman in the shadows! You took me there with your wonderful word picture. Thanks for sharing your talent.

The Crow said...

It could stand some judicious editing, I think, but I'm glad you could see what I was trying to capture of that morning.

lisahgolden said...

This made me smile. It's been a tough day and this was the kind of lift I needed. Thank you.

Connie said...

Martha, that was wonderful! I really enjoyed reading that. :)

The Crow said...

I'm sorry to read that your day has been tough, Lisa. I don't know how you keep it together the way you do. You have my unending admiration.

The Crow said...

Nice to see you, Daisy. Thank you for dropping in.

June Saville said...

Lovely! Crows are more than just a pretty face.
June in Oz

The Crow said...

They certainly are, June. I enjoy watching them.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
Martha

susan said...

This is so cool I'll have to save it for Crow to read on his return.

The Crow said...

I hope he enjoys it and doesn't think me as foolish as apparently Hector did.