(Yes, those are my eyes, the only thing you could see were I to walk outdoors right now.)
I've spent the morning chinking drafts around windows and doors. Had no idea just how drafty the house normally is, nor how easily the drafts can be reduced by a bit of cloth over the sills and at the tops of windows and doors - amazing!
My attire would make a fashionista pale in shock or disgust, but do I care? I have two pairs of socks on my feet, which are inside fake-fur lined slippers. Beneath my slightly-too-large jeans, I am wearing long-johns and flannel pajama bottoms. My torso is encased in a cotton-wool tank top, an oversized T-shirt (short sleeved), a heavy-weight long-sleeved T-shirt and a heavy-duty sweatshirt. I can't move worth crap, but - by god! - I am warm and cozy. If it gets colder by bedtime, I might add a sweater and a watch cap, maybe throw another blankie on the bed.
(Bison in Yellowstone National Park)
I receive photos from a national park site and the one above is today's picture. Bison have very strong neck muscles and put their faces in the snow to plow a path through it. According to the info accompanying the picture, they even take turns, which explains the turn-outs from the main path. We could use a couple of them on my street today!
Had an e-mail from a local friend, Ann, who said she was snuggled in with books, chocolate bars and brownies, ending with, "What more could I ask for?"
Just so happens that when I made a last-minute-before-Jonas dash for some groceries last night, I bought the fixings for homemade hot chocolate mix, plus a few staple items such as milk, butter and eggs. (Already have toilet paper, which is good because there wasn't much left on the shelves. Do shoppers really think they're going to use that much of the stuff in a couple of days time?! I digress.)
As soon as I post this, I'm going to make brownies and hot chocolate. Then I'll get back to that book I started just after Christmas - "In the Heart of the Sea." I might not surface for a couple of days, except to make more of my Jonas-survival goodies.
Stay safe and warm, y'all!



16 comments:
Wrapped up and cozy, with chocolate. Not bad at all.
26 inches with snowdrifts? Egad. Slate calls this storm David Snowie.
Yeah, that's about what I have in my front yard back in MT. Here in Seattle the crocus are inching up, as are early daffodils. Some red blossoms are opening on my daughter's quince in the front yeard.
Yeah, yeah, yeah: how else would you perpetuate the myth that you're all frontiersfolk at heart if it wasn't for the snow? And the floods? And the tornadoes? And the imminent threat of Trumpery?
Toilet paper consumption. Ever tried to calculate the rate? - you may find it salutary. Notice how it never gets discussed in polite company. Or even among barbarians. When we moved from super-urban Surrey to down-at-heel rural Herefordshire we rose from a single jakes to a trio of them, thus increasing our potential paper flow. Incidentally ours is "quilted" since we've always reckoned this wasn't an area for economy. These days we not only don't count the rolls, we don't count the packs of nine. Self-knowledge is valuable but excess should be avoided.
Your post conjures up a happy picture, Martha. Warm, cosy, comfort food and a good book. Let it snow! (provided that you have no need to go out in it)
Hopefully, by the time you do have to go out in it much will have been shoveled and swept away. I think your outfit sounded charming :)
I love the buffalo! I didn't know that.
I think geese (and other migrating birds?) also take turns being in the lead, since it's hard work flying into the wind.
I hope you're dug out by now, and the electricity held...
Wait — hHot chocolate isn’t a staple item? :)
By coincidence my daughter emailed me the following quote, Martha. I had recently read your post and immediately thought of you!
"And when old Winter puts his blank face to the glass,
I shall close all my shutters, pull the curtains tight,
And build me stately palaces by candlelight."
Charles Baudelaire,
Ah! I've found another who uses the word "Blankie" ... !
For my drafty windows, I use strips of styrofoam. I call them draftslayers.
Wait...Brownies? There were BROWNIES??
Awww...sorry I missed those....but I love the dark hot cocoa mix you sent home w/D (still have some - trying to make it last as long as possible)
Thanks for your visit to my blog!! I will stop by her more.
Tabor - thank you for stopping here, but I couldn't find where I had visited your blog...left no comment, anyway.
I admire your skill with words and camera, enjoy immensely your views on life and living.
Thank you.
I envy you a bit. We are not having any snow here this year. I miss it and I kind of like extreme weather.
Hi, Martha, I have been out of the blog world for a long time, but am back at it. I find it difficult to balance it with painting.
Anne! How are you?
I have missed your posts. What is your blog address? Email if you like. My address is sofie(dot)onecrow(at)gmail(dot)com.
Snowed it! I guess I should stop complaining about the little bit of snow and ice we're getting here!
I am late here, catching up with folks in blogland. Glad to hear you have found delightful pleasures indoors while sitting out the snow storm. I miss snow too as it's been mild and wet here in Vancouver BC, but lots of it up in the mountains if one wants to go play! Now to go have a chocolate!
Post a Comment