Friday, June 19, 2015

Marvels



 In the wake of yet another heinous slaughter of innocents in this country, I am too depressed to think clearly right now.  I need to think what to do next.  Tonight, I let Pablo Casals speak for me.

4 comments:

Zhoen said...

Sometimes, even music, cannot substitute for tears.

- P. Simon

Should Fish More said...

But it can, however briefly, assuage them. Thinking of you Martha. Take care.
Mike

Roderick Robinson said...

And speak he does. Quite loudly as he plays, a sort of crooning commentary on the magnificence of Bach's unaccompanied cello suites.

But you made the right choice. He was an egotistical SOB but he realised that no one who claimed to have a conscience could live willingly in Franco's Spain. So he took up residence in Prades, a small town in France on just the other side of the Pyrenees, its closeness to Spain acting as a pea under El Caudillo's mattress. And as the years went by the great and the good came to visit the crusty old gent, reminding the Fascists of whom they had driven out.

Obama made the statement that needed to be said, I thought. But so he should given he's nearly at the end of his second term and (politically) has nothing to lose. Of course a visit from a similar lunatic might cause him to lose his life.

Harlequin said...

there are few better instruments than the cello to speak sorrow and horror .... and hope.
thinking of you.
glad you are a thoughtful and caring human.