I came home from a long, exhausting day on the road and dealing with elements of my past I wish I could have left along the wayside. Somewhere between leaving the parking lot of the V. A. Clinic in Camp Hill and pulling into the carport at home, a depression as cold and grey as the rain clouds spilling over the mountains settled around my shoulders, dampening my spirits. I was tired and hungry, but didn't feel like cooking. Neither did I want to spend money to eat in a restaurant full of people.
I fed Cat then went to get the mail - my evening routine. This time, though, retrieving the mail was anything but routine.
There was a mermaid in my box.
This mermaid came from Thailand, by way of New Jersey and Illinois, through the kindness of blogging friend and fellow sardinista, Michael Leddy, at Orange Crate Art. What a wonderful surprise! (Thank you, Michael.)
In his accompanying note, Michael wrote that he'd never tasted this brand, didn't know if they were any good, "but the can alone was worth it."
Yes, the label is lovely. Even better (and so totally delicious!)are were the little fish inside. This brand is probably the best I've had since starting my recent search for the sardine taste of my youthful memories.
The flesh is tender, the skin silky on the tongue, the tiny bones a crunchy delight. Two things I think add to the enjoyment of these fish are the light flavor and scent of the oil (soybean) in which they were packed, and the barest hint of smoke.
My supper was a simple, but satisfying one: the sardines, with slices of cucumber and a sweet red pepper with a homemade herb-yogurt sauce, plus some garbanzos. These sardines are perfect as they come from the can, which is how I ate half of them. Lemon juice added a nice touch to the rest of them, but was unnecessary.
Michael, I hope you get to try them. I think you'll like them.
And thank you for brightening the remains of my day.
In his accompanying note, Michael wrote that he'd never tasted this brand, didn't know if they were any good, "but the can alone was worth it."
Yes, the label is lovely. Even better (and so totally delicious!)
The flesh is tender, the skin silky on the tongue, the tiny bones a crunchy delight. Two things I think add to the enjoyment of these fish are the light flavor and scent of the oil (soybean) in which they were packed, and the barest hint of smoke.
My supper was a simple, but satisfying one: the sardines, with slices of cucumber and a sweet red pepper with a homemade herb-yogurt sauce, plus some garbanzos. These sardines are perfect as they come from the can, which is how I ate half of them. Lemon juice added a nice touch to the rest of them, but was unnecessary.
Michael, I hope you get to try them. I think you'll like them.
And thank you for brightening the remains of my day.


10 comments:
I’m glad they arrived in a timely way, and that they’re good. We’ve opened two cans and like them just fine. I’m saving one for the label.
I doubt they’re anywhere to be found in Illinois, but I’ll keep my eyes open. Amazon has them for $10.41 a can — can you imagine?
A surprise in the mailbox can often change the whole aspect of the day.
(I thought perhaps you might have eaten them with some cannellone!)
As the ad says, "You're worth it!"
What a delightful serendipity, Martha. Just when you needed it, too.
Comforts when most needed, and a tasty and nourishing meal the best of all.
That plate is a work of art!
You and Michael are edging me closer and closer toward buying sardines.
They've not been my favorite, but the way you present them may change that...
I once had a can of Brunswick sardines with graham crackers.....no saltines in my fishing bank.
Have a good Memorial Day weekend, Martha.
All the bet.
Mike
I'd have to say this looks like fish for fellas. Did it come with one of those twisty key things for opening the can? If so, it's definitely for fellas. Only chaps can manage the twisty thing.
You make sardines sound so delicious. I've eaten a few (mostly in hot sauce) but always preferred the little tins of smoked oysters. I used to carry a can on a backpacking trip and on the evening half way through the trip would have smoked oysters, crackers and a second ounce of scotch...
I leave any fish packed in oil and smoke for my brother-in-law, but would easily have tucked into the remainder of you meal. My very best to you in your adventure with the VA clinic.
Post a Comment