Friday, February 13, 2015

Straight from the Heart


 
 
 
 “I get all excited like a child when I think
about being with you again — if people could see
into my heart I should almost feel ashamed.”
W. A. M.
 
 

I’m borrowing the words of Mozart,
Words that describe what lives in my heart,
To tell thee - but I won't, ever, have no fear -
Of emotions I have no right to hold in here.

My body begins to shudder - heart, to race -
With cascading desire at the sight of thy face;
Thy shadow – sun-cast against the wall –
Weakens my resolve and I tumble, I fall
 
Like Alice down the rabbit hole.
Thee owns me, Beloved – body and soul.
 
(c) Martha McLemore, 13 February 2015
 

 

10 comments:

Zhoen said...

Amor

Aorta

The Crow said...

The perfect antidote to the day! I will return to this many times today, I just feel it in my bones.

"...the peanut butter of February..." HAH!

Michael Leddy said...

Happy Valentine’s Day, Martha.

The Crow said...

And to you, Michael. Thank you.

Roderick Robinson said...

Quite heroic - maintaining the sentiment while being strangled to death by the need to rhyme and to make the thing scan. I hadn't realised the opportunities provided by thee/thy ('tis quite obviously the language of love); you could call it your secret weapon. Not available to the non-Qs. It's not fair.

May I make one small suggestion in line 3. By comma-ing off "ever" you imply a syntactical relationship between what precedes and what follows. In fact "have no fear" is virtually a separate sentence. Also dashes are stronger versions of commas.

How about:

To tell thee, but I won't ever - have no fear

Or perhaps - do not fear.

susan said...

It's a truly wonderful sentiment about ultimate love.

All the best, Martha.

Lucy said...

A hug to you Martha.

The Crow said...

The poem was an off-the-cuff response to Mozart's words to his wife. I was remembering a time when I felt like a kid again over someone I was falling for - or thought I walling for. I don't see it heroic, in any sense of the word.

I hadn't considered whether of not it scanned, just wrote what came to me. As for the Quakerly thee/thy, hadn't thought of that, either. I wanted what I wrote to have a timeless, ageless quality to it, so I used an old form of address.

Thought that by using the comma before and following the word ever, that that would give the word the emphasis I intended. In fact, this whole bit (- but I won't, ever, have no fear) might have read better had it stood alone. Of course it wouldn't have rhymed so handily.

I stayed with 'have no fear' because it seemed to me to fit with thee/thy.

Something to think about next time I get the urge to dash off a bit of fluff. I appreciate your critique, Robbie.

The Crow said...

Thank you, Susan. It was fun to write.

The Crow said...

Many hugs to you, too, Lucy. :)