Sunday, July 14, 2013

Start with an Eye


I don’t know if it’s the heat, or facing another rapidly-approaching birthday or what, but I’ve been in a foul temper of late, finding it difficult to be grateful for anything.  I hate when I get like this! 
However…
…to distract myself from my grumpy state of being, I am turning to art.  Rather, I am trying to learn a new art form – illustration and watercolors.  While cruising the Internet for info on an unrelated matter, I followed several links to various sites until I stumbled across a silly-looking bird drawing that made me laugh out loud, a loud, long and joyful laugh, like I used to have when I was a kid.  (I have no idea how I ended up at that site, but I’m glad I did.  Oh.  I guess I am grateful for something, after all.)
The artist is Carla SonheimShe’s written a couple of books I now have in my library: Drawing and Painting Imaginary Animals and Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun.
Just perusing the first one had me in stitches, my fingers itching to grab paper, pencils and ink to see if I could make silliness happen for myself.  I’m no Sonheim, to be sure, but I had a blast.  Each drawing has a story that came together as I finished adding ink lines.
Carla advises us to start with an eye.  I love the eyes on her blobimals (blob-animals), which are not that easy to accomplish – leastwise, not for me.  Here’s my first attempt.
(This eye belonged to an alligator that had been trained by the US Navy to retrieve underwater explosive devices [UEDs, for short] and take them out to sea where they would be detonated away from ships.  This gator was the slowest one in his class, and didn’t remember he was to spit it out when he reached the destination.  The alligators were supposed to drop the UED, then swim to the reward buoy, where they’d receive a whole turkey.)
Another technique I tried is blind contour drawing, though I think it’s called something else.  You close your eyes, pencil to paper and begin drawing a shape – animal or plant or anything.  Some of Carla's funniest looking creatures started out unintentional; no particular form in mind.  Alejandro was my first attempt. 
Carla states there are a lot of three-legged dogs in her neighborhood.  Same in mine, evidently.  Our minds seem to forget that fourth leg!  (Alejandro is a Chihuahua.  He lives on a Basque sheep ranch in Wyoming.  Alejandro weighs about five pounds/two kilos and is the prime herd dog for his owner.  In fact, he is the only remaining sheep dog.  Sheep ate the others, and tried to take Alejandro down, but he escaped…with his attacker’s nose.  Since that event, the sheep give him a wide berth whenever he enters their pens.)
Next blind contour was intended to be a cat.  By the time I finished drawing the features (my eyes open, though not much better), it resembled neither a cat nor a dog, but made me think of a fox.  Meet Reggie. 
(Reggie is a ladies’ man, a smooth operator, a cunning fellow.  His sartorial style is the envy of all canids the world over.  A rakish devil, Reggie has been divorced nineteen times and is the father of 37 kits.)
Next, I tried letting watercolors flow into quasi-animal shapes, trying to keep a loose hand, as Carla suggests in her bird tutorial.  My first one was too wet and colors flowed everywhere.  In addition, I thought the first color I used was too watery, but it turned out not watery enough.  It dried much more opaque than hers did.  This is Gloria, a Vegas fan dancer.  Not happy with the results – overworked, tried to ‘think’ the results instead of just letting things happen naturally.
(Gloria is from Chile, originally.  She was brought to the US by magazine-magnate, ex-society-prison-inmate Martha Stewart to be one of the breeder hens for Stewart’s planned “Easter Egg” line of chickens, the name of which she would copyright and sue anyone who dared refer to the birds in writing, or even just say the name out loud.  Remember, “It’s a good thing”?  Gloria ran away from Stewart’s farm when Stewart went to prison.  Gloria held a variety of jobs [nanny to a nest of copperheads, her least favorite] before landing in Vegas, where the green hue of her feathers made her a natural for the chorus line – no expensive costumes needed, you see.  In the drawing above, Gloria stepped on a sequin and did an unexpected split, causing all the other girls to collide with each other, many of whom fell off the stage and into the audience...of a convention of weasels from Manhattan.)
Finally, there’s Charlie.  With this one, I followed Carla’s bird tutorial closely.  I thinned the color, wiped the brush tip to remove the excess and just let the color go where it would.  I changed colors and added the rear end of another bird, to create the illusion that Charlie was in a flock of birds.  Then, unfortunately, I gilded the lily.  Carla flicks additional color onto her backgrounds to give texture to the painting.  I picked up some lovely brown color and tapped the brush against my finger.
Oops!  Brown blobs fell across the beautiful bird shape I had just carefully created.  Drat!
I thought the painting was ruined, until I turned it around and around, as Carla teaches, to see if anything else ‘appears’.  That’s when I knew how to finish the drawing after the blobs dried.
  (Charlie was flying back east to visit his brothers and sisters, but couldn’t afford first-class accommodations.  He ended up in coach, at the end of a long line of grasshopper-eating pigeons.  Charlie vowed he’d never again fly coach, with pigeons, or eat grasshoppers!)
If any of you like to draw, or just want some silliness in your lives, I recommend Carla Sonheim’s web site and her books. (The only payment I've received for this unsolicited recommendation is the laughter and joyfulness found therein.)
(Edited because of grandson.  7-21-2-13)

13 comments:

Zhoen said...

You have a real talent for this! Very fun, and stories burbling forth. You have a wonderful children's book in you.

David Oliver said...

Martha, this is great! I couldn't decide which drawing/painting or story I liked best. They are all really good. The kitten/fox made me laugh...he's just real. The eye is kinda scary and I think that is hard to accomplish. The dog is cute and I can relate to three legged animals. I've got a painting I did of elephants, I won't say anymore about that...
The bird is really funny.

The Crow said...

Zhoen, I'd have to clear out the sex and violence before I could write for children. They might like silly drawings, though. I know I did when I was a kid.

The Crow said...

David:

Charlie Bird is my favorite of the drawings. I came closer to achieving the light touch I like about Sonheim's drawings with Charlie.

You know, of course, that now you simply MUST post your elephant painting, right? Yes - just say yes, David, and post it.

marja-leena said...

Oh, wow, you've done some wonderful drawings and stories! Where have you been hiding your talents? I love them all but the bird is an exceptionally well done drawing! Hope you will keep doing more.

Roderick Robinson said...

And what the heck is is a rotator cuff? I could Google it but what's the fun in that? Far better to apply imaginary powers. Some years ago (how it odd it seems to apply that phrase to a personage who is only seven years in total) Zach wore trainers with flashing lights built into the heels. Yes, I know they were available in the super-advanced US immediately after WW2 but did anybody bother to ask why they were invented? To add to the gaiety of nations, is the answer. As with these cuffs - a ring of LEDs set into the cuffs (called turn-ups in dear old backward UK) of a pair of trousers and which, via the magic of electronic logic and an alternating off-on pattern, appear to be spinning round the wearer's ankle telling all and sundry that he is out on parole from a chain-gang. A softening of the face of justice.

You seem to be having fun with what are sometimes called the graphic arts and rather more rarely the plastic arts. The eye seems to be doing what eyes should, following me round as I tap out the draft for this comment on a Windows Notebook sheet of paper - simulated that is. Some years ago (there I go again, just like Ronald Reagan) VR took up painting: water-colours, oils and (surprisingly, since it sounds like some other field of endeavour entirely) acrylics. She has come on quite a bit and very occasionally I'm tempted. However I bear in mind the cliché phrase: the cobbler sticks to his last, and continue instead to grind out words. Quite dull in comparison, and never in any way as immediate.

I mean, suppose I did an imaginary animal: a Los Angeles ram, called inevitably Roman. Or perhaps you are too young to be aware of the awful sense of betrayal that many US couch potatoes experienced in the sixties when they discovered that the he-man apple of their eye had a softer side. The great thing abut words (over paint) is that in dealing with Roman I would not need to be entirely explicit... No, this isn't getting anywhere.

Let me jump a para or two in your post. Notably to the point where you blob brown on your bird (A Freudian moment, I fear), think you've ruined it, then discover the pleasures of recycling. Go on to create a drawing that is aggression personified. And I re-discover a US phrase which always pleased me: to fly coach which elides two periods in US social history.

Sorry, I've kind of messed about. But that was what you were encouraging, wasn't it?

Tom said...

These are brilliant! You have clearly discovered a vein of precious, imaginative riches. I'd love to see where this leads you, should you choose to develop this gift.

David Oliver said...

Let me say I'll think about it. This is not a think about it, then no. This is a think about and a real possibility. I got interested in canvas painting many years ago, painted for awhile, filled my house with paintings, sold some and gave some away. I eventually stopped when it seemed I had stopped progressing and I had lots of excuses. The kids were little, I was working lots of overtime and my wife went back to school.

The elephant painting was done from a picture in World Book encyclopedia. Remember those? The thing about the three legs is this. Not long ago my youngest son was looking at the painting and said, "Dad, you know those elephants look like they have only three legs." And he is right! Still want to see it?

Lucy said...

These are terrific! You should do many more and regale us with them...

Fresca said...

Ooooh, thanks for these inspiring magical animals!
And for the link to the cool artist. I am going to spend some time with her encouraging ideas and tips.
(Did you see she has an upcoming one-week online class? Only ("only") $45...)

I've been watercoloring this summer and loving it--even just ("just") trying to paint plain old everyday items around me is so fun!

Onward, brush in hand!

susan said...

These are very delightful, both the stories and the wonderful pictures. Of course I'm going to love best the last one with the bird getting spattered.

You keep quiet for a bit and then hit us with your genius. What a woman!

Unknown said...

These drawings should have cheered you up a lot as they have lots of other people. It's hard to be original, and the fruits of your originality must make you feel a lot better.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I'm impressed. I don't draw, but the illustrations are really fun to look at.