Sunday, July 28, 2013

It's a Bird! It's a Pla...What is it?

Still playing with blind contouring, finding imaginary creatures in blobs and trying to learn to have fun with art.  I so wanted to be (among many things) an artist when I was younger.  In particular, I wanted to be an artist like my mother, who was a natural at it.  But I was a perfectionist.  If it didn't look realistic, like my mother's drawings, then it wasn't good.  If it wasn't good, it wasn't art.  So, after many years of struggling to be as good an artist as my mother, and failing - in my eyes, anyway - I quit trying.  Then I stumbled upon some drawings and paintings by Carla Sonheim (previous post) and was inspired to try again.

Will I ever become as good as my mother was?  No, on many levels, including art.  But it no longer matters.  What I do now is for me, for fun and to share with friends.

The drawing in this post was an attempt to do another blind contour drawing, where you close your eyes (or at least not look at the paper or other surface you're sketching on) and just let your hand/pencil go where it will.  The key is to be loose, relax - trust the process, instead of trying to control the outcome.  Have fun.  Live in the now, in the moment.  (Good life lessons, too!)  The sketch below was intended to be a bird.  No one type of bird, just whatever developed. 

Well, what developed didn't strike me as a bird, but it made me laugh, laugh hard, so it served its purpose.  Meet Rico.



 
 
When Rico hatched from his egg, his parents knew he was special.  His siblings, all normal-looking tadpoles, asked if 'special' was another word for weird.  His father said he couldn't believe that millions of years of frog evolution could be undone in one instant.  Rico's mother worried that having his gills on top of his head would make him an easier, more visible, target for the fish which preyed upon tads and young frogs.
 
As his brothers and sisters grew legs and lost their tails, moving through the expected stages of froglet development, Rico simply grew larger, eventually reaching a mass of nearly a kilo and a length of half a meter.  As you can imagine, his size, not to mention the strange placement of his gills, dissuaded other creatures from trying to eat him. 
 
His brothers went on to chase female frogs every spring.  Rico chased bubbles.  He was obsessed with them.  Rico knew everything there was to know about bubbles: what caused them, how they were able to rise from the depths of heavy water to burst upon the surface, their usual lifespan; how they were, in fact, an engineering and physics marvel - like bumblebees - and all the wonderful things that could be made using the bubble shape.  He liked to point out that frogs' very lives began in bubbles, that there would be no frogs, or toads, or salamanders, perhaps all life, were it not for bubbles or bubble technology.
 
Rico lived to be 17 years old, having outlived several generations of siblings and their offspring as well as his parents.  He contented himself chasing and studying and admiring bubbles until the day he died. 
 
Death came swiftly to Rico.  He got caught up in the cavitation produced by a 300-horsepower Evinrude, so focused on the bubbles that he didn't see the spinning propeller that produced them.  He never knew what hit him.

11 comments:

marja-leena said...

How wonderful that you are having fun with image making, and now with a delightful story to go with it! Interesting that you are focusing on animals too (I could never draw them myself - go figure). I wish you much continuing joy with your renewed creative pursuits!

Roderick Robinson said...

Hey, you're getting into your stride. There's stuff in here - interesting stuff - but it helps tell the story. I'm just back from Joe's blog where I was struck by his carefully intermittent use of short sentences. Told him so. And you're up to it too. "Rico chased bubbles. He was obsessed by them." What's good about that is what no one sees; the temptation to combine those two statements. Heroically resisted. Best of all there's an American tone of voice to all this and yet it doesn't depend on idiom. It's no great compliment but I couldn't have written this. I'm too Anglo.

I particularly appreciated "cavitation". Its undefined inclusion showed - to those who might be looking for such things - that you know what you're talking about. If you've got it, flaunt it, kid.

And, purely personal this, you included a word that evokes the USA, a euphonious word, a word that for me dates back to WW2 when poor impoverished Brits got hold of copies of SEN and were left to wonder about a land where people ate wieners outdoors and bottles of Seven-Up were sold with permanent mists of condensation on the outside, down which flowed what looked like beads of sweat. A euphonious word but still quite masculine. It could have been Schwinn (as in bike) but in this case it was Evinrude.

Keep on trucking

Zhoen said...

I love your cartoon drawings. They have wit.

I like realistic art, admire the skill. But I prefer the wilder stuff. Stood in front of a Jackson Pollock, in utter awe. I don't think hyperrealism is the epitome of art, it's just one side of the spectrum.

Should Fish More said...

Sounds like you're using the 'ouija board' method. Pretty cool, and I do like the pic.

David Oliver said...

I laughed when I saw the picture and grew thoughtful when I read the story. I think it says a lot about accepting how we are made - who we are.

Great blog Martha!

Tom said...

Rico, how do you do? You really must tell your creator how talented she is. Yes, I know you know, but does she? You're dead, did you say? No my little friend, creations like you never die, not really.

Fresca said...

More, more!

Secret Agent Woman said...

Rico is adorable!

susan said...

It's a wonderful picture for an equally entertaining story. Rico is utterly charming.

Unknown said...

Rico's pleasure in bubbles is something I share and understand. Rico es muy rico. A phrase which when employed by Spanish people is usually accompanied by a special gesture. You touch your lips and allow your fingers to float up in the air to indicate approval. As I do now.

Judah is a.... said...

Personally, I love Rico, an am sad he met an early(ish) end. But for bubbles, it was probably worth it.