For all my grousing about the unexpected snowfall two weeks ago, I'll try to redeem myself by posting photos of the changes over the last seven days. I am such a happy camper today. Spring has finally arrived, though with temps in the high 80F degrees during the beginning of this week, I was afraid we were going straight into summer. Not so. It rained a little during the night and today was much cooler, the air softer on the skin. Lovely, just absolutely gorgeous!
I call these bluebells, but I think they're English wood hyacinths.
Tiny bluettes, a favorite weed flower.
(Correction: Veronica spp, likely Waterperry Blue.)
Fat budded tulip, yellow ones, I think. These are in the herb garden at work.
Forsythia at work, three days ago.
Same branch, today!
Looks like a spring shower is on its way. Good.
Hydrangea at work, three days ago.
Same hydrangea today. The unfurling leaves make me think of young cabbages, or green cabbage roses.
Muscaria, last Friday, side of my house.
Spring crocuses, near the muscaria.
Pom-pom daffodil, herb garden at work. I've never seen these before.
This is Spot, a wild rabbit that lives in my yard. It's markings are unusual, to me - it has a dark chin strap above a buff-colored collar or ruff. Its bigger than the ones that usually live here, and very pretty. I like its white socks and red spats.
Here you see Spot's spot. At first I thought that was a spot of dark brown fur, but today I realized it is a wound that's healing. I suspect Spot was attacked by one of the Cooper's hawks that live behind my barn. Spot likes to sit under the picnic table, has a shallow bed made in the grass there. I hope it lives to a ripe old age and then dies quietly in its sleep.
So that's what's happening in my town, as far as Spring goes. What's new with you?








.jpg)




13 comments:
Makes me wish I could draw and make sweet pictures of the bunny and the flowers just like Tasha Tudor did.
I think your bluettas are what I was told were Veronica here. Maybe. So many plants, so many more names.
I love her work, Diane, and have a couple of her books in my library. Yes, she would do Spot justice!
Oh, I like that name, Zhoen! I'm going to call them Veronica from now on. They are such a delicate looking flower, with blue lines that look as if they were drawn on in ink. I look for them every spring.How's your garden plots coming along? Hope everything you plant takes root and thrives; you put so much hard work and love into them.
Fine, rub it in. I expect to see my lilac bush bloom in 2 months. And that cute little bunny......lapin a la coquette is my thought.
What?! Spot, in a pot? Oh, noooooo!
You meanie, you!
(Etouffe crossed my mind, I must admint.)
Well, my Veronica is flourishing. The chard and parsley have come up robust, as well as the mint in the front. Planted a rhubarb, and the established clover has come up gangbusters. Still pretty bare, but I have plans.
In our garden. Our gardener, a deacon in the Baptist church, has gone to Israel for a holiday. We have bought some flowers (the correct term may be bedding plants, but don't hold me to ransom on this.). When he gets back, he'll plant them. Perhaps they'll flourish, perhaps they won't. The great thing is not to feel responsible. Or to get muck under my finger-nails. The world turns without any help from me; my next task will be to decide which wine we'll drink tonight. A burgundy is strongly favoured. We live a quiet, non-contributory life. Occasionally I think bad thoughts.
Z, your veronica is becoming a beautiful mat on greens and blues. So nice to see.
I am inspired by your gardening under less than ideal conditions to try some plants in my back yard. I'll probably put in salad vegetables, maybe grow something in containers. Oh, the possibilities!
Robbie:
Re: "Occasionally I think bad thoughts."
HA! Yes, well, Spring will do that to a person, won't it? Turns my thoughts to reproductive rituals, sets my hormones to raging after being sequestered all winter.
Now, to find a partner!
Everything is coming along nicely! I have a pair of bunnies in my yard - I love to see them out there eating the clover.
"I hope it lives to a ripe old age and then dies quietly in its sleep."
Who among us could ask for more?
I'm delighted to see you've reappeared with the blessings of spring flowers. They are all such beautiful pictures and I love your rabbit.
Post a Comment