To quote a friend who lives where snow lays about until June, "...winter ain't over...there will be more snow." He was talking about his hometown in Montana, but he might just as well have been describing my town.
I awoke to dozens of birds, some of whom who have recently returned from their warmer vacation spots, chattering and squawking about all the white stuff falling from the sky. Oh, yeah, Peeps, there was a whole lot of birdy WTFs filling the backyard!
And it's still coming down! What is going on with the weather this year? It's been weird everywhere.
This is not the most snow we've ever had here in Hanover, but it is more than we've had this late in the year. The first two images are from my backyard; the last two, from the backyard at work, taken from the porch of the office where I work.
Madness! Just plain madness! Where the heck is spring?!
12 comments:
The weather certainly has been crazy everywhere, even in Europe. Lovely photos are a small reward.
This winter we had very little snow except up in the mountains, but instead ever more rain. On the first morning of spring, we had snow coming down and sticking for about an hour, then it was gone by noon. I had to go check my photos to see if we'd had snow that late before - oh yes - April 18, 2008 was huge and damaged trees, then April Fools' Day, 2009.
We really must not complain out here while easterners suffer. Take care. Glad to have you back.
I guess we aren't really suffering, Marja-Leena. Things could be a heck of a lot worse. I just wasn't expecting this especially after the almost hot day yeasterday.
My little town has dodged a lot of bullets this past 12 months - a couple of hurricanes that didn't amount to much, severe weather that hit neighbors really hard, even terrible heat spells and droughts that those to the north and south of us were hit with for weeks on end.
This might be catch-up or pay-backs for how easy we have had it, so far.
Aha! Even as I type this, the sun is now beginning to shine through the gloom - so this ain't nothin', honey! Shane on me for complaining.
Thank you for dropping by. By the way, I think your image of the chafer beetle is great. I especially like your art that includes your hand. That beetle is so pretty, though I doubt I'd think so if they infested my yard!
Bright sunshine here, and a toasty 34f at 2:30pm.
I think weather is going to get weirder and more extreme as our climate changes, and our kids and grandkids will see even worse.
Hello, Mike:
The snow has stopped, around 5:30 my time. Most of it has melted, leaving behind miniature rivers of snowmelt flowing down the streets - no fish, though.
I think you're right in your prediction of the future for the generations that will follow us. Is it too late, do you suppose, to make things right again?
I'm hoping this was winter's last hurrah for the season and we can get on with spring now.
It's not snowing here now but it did earlier today, plus, it's continued to be much colder than I'd prefer. Nevertheless, just as you've noticed, when the sun shines those little freshets and rivulets sparkle and are much fun to walk through. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the eventual spring flowers peeking up through fresh snow rather than that nasty grey crust we looked at every day for weeks.
We don't know what the future will bring but the signs of climate change are clear. Although it would help if people stopped adding so many more us to the mix, there's nothing we as individuals can do about it. The best thing I can hope for is that we learn to look after each other and whatever small piece of the planet we occupy.
Good morning, Susan:
Those same recently-returned birds are happy that the ice in the birdbath has melted. They're lining up to wash of the dust and freeze off the mites. Lots of happy birdsong this morning.
Sparkling water is a joy to watch, and I spent many happy hours as a kid stomping my way down the street in snowmelt, glad I had boots to keep my toes dry and warm. Later on, when the rainwater was not quite so cold, the street gullies were great oceans where we sailed paper boats. Some kids had small planks of wood to sail.
I should remember those good times when it snows, instead of being so grumpy about it. Silver lining, and all that.
It's been remarkably cold this Spring. I hate it. In the 20 years that I've lived here, I've never seen snow as late as we got it this year.
SAW:
I didn't think your part of Tennessee got much snow at all, but obviously you do. I have a cousin near your town and a sister who lives in Birmingham, not too far from either of you. They also have complained of late snow and cold temps that have lingered far too long.
A teller at my bank said she's told Mother Nature that under no circumstances will she tolerate snow after the 1st of April. Can't wait to see how that works out!
I've enjoyed your flower pictures. Hoping mine show up soon.
See you later!
This time last year we had a drought.. A hosepipe ban was imposed. Then it rained almost continuously through the summer. This Spring we seem to be suffering along with the whole of Northern Europe from the same unseasonable cold as you. Strange. But then that's weather for you. At least in this country. Cheers
Dear Joe:
I've noticed reports of how odd the weather is in Europe, and around the world this past 12 months. Strange is, I think, an understatement, but surely there is some spot on the globe where the weather is normal for the season?
Five days after this somewhat whining post, there are flowers in my yard and all the snow has melted. Yesterday the temperatures rose to 62 and it was gorgeous outside.
I must learn patience.
The answer is to ignore the weather: don't glance at it, discuss it, photograph it, write about it, curse it and - most important of all - anticipate it. And to maintain this attitude when it arrives as one of Kipling's two impostors. Harder to do in Hanover than in Hereford (UK).
Casting my mind back I'm surprised to read you going on about Spring. In Allegheny County it was my impression - shaky after all these years - that Spring was more of a theory than a season. Something English poets burbled on about but which pragmatic, sturdy, American sons of toil were unaware of. That there was a moment - at most a weekend - when one ceased clearing snow off the driveway and then, without thought, started looking out short-sleeve shirts. To hell with all that English impedimenta like the first crocuses and the Earth showing itself up for renewal; one merely stepped from extreme cold to extreme hot. And the same thing happened at the other end of the year; one put the lawnmower away and took out the snowblower within the same twenty-four hours. Autumn didn't exist (other than a quick glance at some tree leaves that had changed colour) and this was more than evident in the American preference for the word Fall - an instantaneous transition.
Spring as it were was for sissies, and references to Autumn caused a raised eyebrow. These two seasons were too vague, too mamby-pamby for Bruce Springsteen fans. So you're out in the garden, sweating cobs, drinking your fourteenth Iron City, still concerned with the rag-tag end of the baseball season, knowing that tomorrow you could well be risking having your ass (and to hell with the longer a in arse) frozen off. The correct patriotic response was: Bring it on! We're American!
But no doubt I've misremembered it all. More fun, though.
You're right, Robbie. I was whining.
Post a Comment