Image © Jeremy Early
(Found this passage at Whiskey River. All I could think to say is to paraphrase a newspaper headline, from years ago, about the "Shoeless Joe" Jackson baseball scandal; hence the title of this post. - Martha)
"We're always thinking of eternity as an idea that cannot be understood, something immense. But why must it be? What if, instead of all this, you suddenly find just a little room there, something like a village bath house, grimy, and spiders in every corner, and that's all eternity is. Sometimes, you know, I can't help feeling that that's what it is."
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Brothers Karamazov

7 comments:
It's blue. Infinity, it's blue.
At least according to Death in Soul Music.
Goodness, you've put it all together wonderfully--image, quote, and response. I'd like to be able to sum ideas up in such a succinct manner. Of course there is more, I'm thinking.
Oh my! That's a scary thought indeed.
Remembering your dislike of spiders I congratulate you on your courage in taking this photograph, and incidently on linking the arachnid with The Brothers K. And eternity.
I hardly ever think about infinity. There's so much to cope with before we get there, and if it's a bath-house full of spiders I'm glad it's a long way off.
I hope not ~ :) I've just discovered your lovely blog, and am now following! So nice to "meet" you! ♥
Hugs,
Anne
Maybe that would give us time enough to learn to like spiders.
Post a Comment