Saturday, June 9, 2012

Computer Number 8

Hello, Blogland!  Whatcha been up to lately?

I've been battling the Octopus again. Drat! Thought I was finished with him...my mistake. When the Octopus is upon me, I have difficulty doing or being interested in much more than basic survival needs.

However, things are looking better again, so I'm back to the library and blogging. I do try to keep up with your blogs at work, though; mostly, I’m able only to read your posts. (Dare not take the time to respond, unless it's at the end of the day, or if the fouine is gone.) Reading your blogs helps keep me going, keeps me with one foot in the real world, which means a lot.

One of the things I've let fall to the wayside in the last few weeks is yard care. Consequently, the Back 40 has become jungle-like, almost to the point that Agent Orange might be the only thing to work on it. Since I'm fresh out of military-grade defoliants, I have to resort to the lightweight weed eater and my flagging determination (always the first thing to fail) to beat back the bush.

























Things were going well for about an hour until the muscles of my forearms began trembling. My first thought (because I'm diabetic) was that my glucose level was dropping, but that wasn't the case. Perhaps I was trying to get too much done too quickly, so it seemed as good a time as any to take a break until the trembling stopped. Which also seemed like a good time to visit the library and get back to blogging.



Half done, here.










Other half to go.














Fortunately, the dress code at the library is fairly relaxed.  Still, I will try to dust off the bits and pieces the weedeater threw onto me.  Sure hope there's no poison ivy in that mess.






























Some places in the yard look a bit spooky.  I think this is where the feral cats like to hide.



















I did take photos of the Farmers Market and other places around town, which I'll post next time I can make it back here. I've also started a garden, a small plot I call my salad bowl, in the vegetable garden where I work. More about that another time.


Sure feels good to be blogging/connecting again. Thank you all for your responses and kind messages. I hope to pick up the internet at home again soon, so I can cruise and blog to my heart's content. I appreciate that our library has internet connections for its patrons, but the time restrictions per visit are very discouraging.  I hope all is well with each of you, and as my favorite cowgirl used to sing at the end of her television program - Happy trails, until we meet again. 



What the heck?!!!  You go away for a few weeks and Blogger falls apart!  I want the old Blogger back, dadgummit.

6 comments:

Zhoen said...

Ah, the addictive qualities of pruning. At least I am restricted by my yard waste bin, have to stop when it gets full. Bit by bit, take it slowly.


Yeah, still hate the new blugger.

susan said...

Some would call your back 40 lush and beautiful. I love the idea of having a garden but actually getting out there and coming to grips with real life in the undergrowth is something I haven't done since we sold our one and only house more than 20 years ago. I remember the demise of several string weed whackers and a whole lawn mower. The best I've ever managed was a decade's worth of plant pots on a balcony - something I hope to do again if we ever find another decent balcony (not more than 5 stories up in the air where the winds get harsh).

It's got to be difficult using the library for blogging mostly because of the time constraints but I think I'd have a hard time not being distracted by the other users. You've done a wonderful job with the posts you have made from there and I loved your descriptions of the people nearby. I hope that soon you'll be able to have a cable connection at home again.

Mostly I'm glad to see you've returned, though sorry to hear about the Octopus's return. Surely he's done with you for a good long while.

Best wishes ♡

ps: I hate the Blogger changes too. They just sprang them on everybody at once with no warning.

dianefaith said...

Those weeds get all that energy and determination free and clear. Wonder what we do wrong? :-) I always LOVE seeing a post from you pop up.
I would weed-eat today except that it's raining, and I can't. And then the yard will be too wet, and then it might be too hot out there.

Anne said...

I am fighting depression myself because of a legal entanglement and having to go through my late brother-in-law's stuff and thus his sad life. I feel for your struggle with the octopus. I find that gardening and especially weed-eating gives some relief. I think it's the exercise factor. It's good to hear from you. Keep visiting that library.

Anonymous said...

You're back! This has just made my day!

Sir Hugh said...

Good to have you back again. Gardening is above and beyond for me, and with my present recovery from knee replacement it is the perfect excuse for letting the jungle takeover. My neighbours are dedicated gardeners, and Shirley tells me she can deduce just from my body language that I hate gardening on the rare occasions she sees me at it.