I'm at computer number 6 today, closer to the back door of the library. I took several photos of my town on my walk up, but there is no way for me to upload them from the camera flash card onto this computer. I'll have to put them on a thumb drive at home and try again next time.
I intended to rise before the proverbial chickens this morning, so I could get to the Farmers Market while the stalls were still full of goods. By the time I rolled out of bed, dressed and poked my head out, it was already quarter past nine, and the stalls were half depleted. Did talk to the shop keepers, though, about taking photographs and was pleasantly surprised they all agreed to it, but they wanted me to wait until next Saturday, when everything was fresh and fully stocked.
Saw a number of folks I know, many of whom I haven't seen for ages, so the visit to the Market was fruitful after all. I'm glad my circumstances have forced me out and about, because I realize how much I've missed interacting with neighbors and other townfolk I know. There is something to be said for communing with others as a treatment for depression.
I spent most of my time on Number 6 reading others' blogs and catching up on your lives (as reported in your blogs), so this is going to be a short post. Next time I visit here, though, I'll be better prepared.
Thank you all for your comments. They are sincerely appreciated. I'm going to ask permission to use the office computer to catch up with your posts and comments, since I'm in the office three days a week and can't always get to the library.
Anyway, got to go - someone else needs the computer and my allotted hour is up. We can stay on the computer indefinitely if no one is waiting to log on, but we are promised at least an hour on, once a visit.
My kindergarten teacher would be so proud of me: I'm learning to share my toys, after all.
11 comments:
Good to hear from you again. Any progress with cycling? I am getting well into it now.
Often restrictions force us to make better choices, and get very creative. Happy meeting & greeting.
Courage, dear friend.
I know what you mean about getting out...although it seems at times I know everybody in town, really I tend to be solitary. I go almost daily to breakfast at a place where the food is so-so, but I spend nearly an hour talking to other regulars. On recent trips to see kids and g'kids, I found that the constant family interaction fulfilling in a way it was not in years past. Age, maybe?
Wish the best for you, Martha
Mike
I had a hearty chuckle over your last statement! Life is being fruitful for you these days, I'm so pleased for you.
It's nice you got to visit with some old acquaintances. That would lift my spirits too. Sharing is important, I think. :) I hope you have a good week!
Oh no, to heck with meeting real people. Virtuality is enormously superior. You can edit and re-edit the dialogue until you emerge as a shinier version of Gore Vidal. You can win every argument. Switch continents. Sing as you speak. Be as many people as you like. Virtuality is a secular heaven and - this is the great bit - you don't have to die and have that disagreeable conversation on the threshold before being admitted.
I have been keeping up with you, Martha, and I really thought I had left comments on your last few posts about having to give up your computer at home. Perhaps I screwed up somehow and didn't get the comments properly logged in. I hope this one gets by. I agree with you that it's important to get out, and I am going to try to follow your example. The recent turn of events in my life have sent me into hiding, and that's bad.
I'd love to see your photographs of the farmer's market as there's something especially nice about fresh produce outside a supermarket. Everything seems much more real and whole and, yes, you can run into old friends as well. Just a few days ago I read that walking outdoors is probably the best cure there is for depression - it sounded right to me anyway.
I hope your employers let you use your work computer. It's always so nice to read what you have to say here and when you visit.
I'm mostly with LDP on this one, though I never emerge shinier than Gore Vidal. But if you have restricted computer access then the virtual world inevitably recedes in favour of the real one, so I am glad you are enjoying (at least a little) your reality. Never mind your kindergarten teacher, we're all impressed. Most people don't ask permission to to get up to all sorts of mischief on the office comouter...
Martha, hope you're doing ok. It's springtime finally here, and it's good to see green and colors vs. the white of snow.
Take care,
Mike
I too hope you're okay, Martha. I just wanted to let you know I've been thinking of you and your wonderful essays with great fondness.
Post a Comment