We didn't have a Thanksgiving dinner today. We've postponed it until Sunday. Nature (flooded basement), a rough day at work (preparing for an audit)on Wednesday, and a few other things got in the way.
Grandson had another emergency trip to the hospital yesterday afternoon that took up most of the evening. (He's okay. Another black-out, this time while riding his bicycle.)
All the things Daughter and I had planned to do yesterday in preparation for dinner today would have kept us up all night - most of it, at least - and we all were physically and emotionally drained by the time I dropped them off at their apartment. So, we agreed we would enjoy the day more if we put the festivities (such as they are) off until the weekend. (As it turns out, their next door neighbors invited them over for dinner, which was nice.)
Still, this being a day of giving thanks, of recognizing the blessings we have, I offer thanks for the following:
- family and friends (my child and her child, my sisters and brothers; friends here and in blogland).
- my home, including the spiders and crickets (not the silverfish, though).
- my job, the fact that I have one, when so many people are struggling to find work, which saddens me for them and their families. I need to find another part-time job, and I'm looking. I am hopeful one will come along soon.
- local food banks, which help me put food on the table, so that I don't have to choose between eating and having the medicines I need to stay alive.
There are many more things for which I am grateful, but this is long enough.
My dinner today (shown above) was a grilled cheese sandwich, which tasted better than all the others I've ever had, and I've had some very good ones in the past. Being mindful makes all the difference.
Almost forgot: I'm still here, the greatest blessing of all. Wonder of wonders.
10 comments:
It's good to give thanks every day. I'm glad to know you are well.
Any day is good for giving thanks. I hope grandson is not too badly hurt, and they can get a handle on whatever is going on with him. May the audit go smoothy, and you find full time work, and the basement dries up. Mostly, though, I wish you the fortitude to stay mindful. Really does work, don't it?
Thank you for all your encouragement.
It looks good to me! Happy Thanksgiving to you, Martha. Ours turned out differently than we expected too. We were going to travel to have dinner at my in-laws. Instead my son got up with a stomach bug this morning, and we ended up staying home and having leftovers. No complaints here. We have much to be thankful for too, just like you do. We didn't go hungry, and we enjoyed each other's company. Can't ask for more than that. I hope you enjoy your celebration on Sunday. :-)
Thanksgiving - one of several holidays the UK doesn't share with the USA (I suppose we'd be hard-pressed to pay much attention to July 4). But I've always been impressed by its non-commercialism. Tough times, Crow. Sorry about that. After the audit then. Incidentally, not being a turkey man, I would have greatly preferred your alternative meal. Here's to spiderlessness.
Have a lovely thanksgiving dinner on Sunday, and may your life go a easier soon!
I'd trade just about any turkey I've ever known for that grilled cheese, or girled cheese, as #1 Daughter knew it.
Being mindful makes all the difference.
Attitude is pretty much everything, or close to everything. I hope things get better and less stressful, and that you keep enjoying and getting happiness and strength from all the blessings you have.
I'm very glad you're here, Martha/Sofie. Oh, and I dislike silverfish too...we have them here in the new home as well as some big honkin' centipedes. Not my fave things, let me tell you!
And thank you, dear Crow. I hope that Sunday's feast is a joy for you and your family.
You may notice that I have made it to your blog after some difficulty. This is the first time that I have been able to comment for a long time. For which my personal Thanksgiving is in order.
Thankful to what the nets drag in, for sure!
Sometimes the electronic even becomes 3 dimensional:
Will pop the pilgrimage shell in the mail.
Post a Comment