Thursday, August 25, 2011

Goodnight! Irene!


I've been in only one hurricane, Hurricane Betsy, back in mid 1960s, in New Orleans. Once was enough.

In 2005, those in my family not in Katrina's path were terrified we had lost our sister, Sandra, who was in the path. We couldn't reach her for three days. That's how long it took her to get out of her neighborhood to an area where she could get phone coverage. We thought we would never see her again, but, thankfully, she survived.

There have been brushes with the edges of a couple of hurricanes here in my current home over the last twenty years, mostly high winds, heavy rains, downed trees and power lines, flooded basements - all minor compared to the areas hit full-force, but scary enough for me to be concerned about Irene. Looks like she might hit the Northeast pretty hard, with serious damage to the Mid-Atlantic region. That's the forecast as of this afternoon, anyway.

I am hopeful that Irene will downgrade before she hits land, lose steam and speed, but I think I'm being overly optimistic about that. My greatest concern is for the flooding issues and the high winds. I am preparing for the possibility that more trees in my yard will be knocked down and that my basement will flood, deep flooding. There is a dangerously old sassafras tree right next to my house. The last hurricane that blew through our area broke off the highest branches and tossed them down the street, fortunately (amazingly!) missing all the homes in their path. This old tree is half dead and one I wanted to have removed earlier this spring when I had others done. The funds I had set aside for the tree work had to be used for other things, so the sassy still looms over the house, like Snoopy doing his vulture imitation.

I remember Betsy and the preparations my mother made before it hit. I do NOT anticipate that Irene will do anything to my area anywhere close to what Betsy or Katrina did to Louisiana, but I'm taking those same precautions my mother did all those years ago. Luckily, we have a couple of days to prepare.

I'm putting things in the basement up off the floor, as high as I safely can. Before the storm hits, I'll unplug the washer and dryer and put them up on bricks. I will clean out the well of the sump pump, so that it will work as long as we have electricity. In case our water supply becomes undrinkable (a remote possibility) I will have bottled water on hand. Canned goods and food that doesn't require refrigeration and can be cooked on the grill are on my grocery list for this afternoon. Batteries, too, for all the flashlights I own, maybe even get a couple more lights for spares.

If it looks like we will be hit harder than I anticipate, I'll go stay with my Daughter and Grandson, who live in a very secure
building just a few blocks from me, less than a mile away. I guess I must sound like a nervous nelly, but I’d rather be prepared than sorry, you know?

I just wish I could get rid of these Betsy/Katrina memory jitters. But, being prepared and having a plan will help, I know: maybe even put the jinx on Irene hitting the coast in the first place.

Now to find my insurance policy, to see if I'm covered against hurricanes.

I bet not. I mean, we aren't even covered against earthquakes, because they never happen here. Yeah, right!




15 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for visiting. Do hope the hurricane is not as bad as it sounds - but like you I feel it will be every bit as bad.

It is years since I heard Goodnight Irene - took me back a long time.

Best wishes for the next few days.

The Crow said...

Pat:

Nice to see you here. I check in at your blog often, though I don't always post a comment. Thank you for the good wishes.

I think the Atlantic coast is in for a terrible beating, the Carolinas and Georgia, especially.

Very weird weather this year, for all of us, worldwide, isn't it?

Connie said...

I hope all will go well for you there, Martha. It does sound like this could be a pretty destructive storm. I don't blame you for wanting to be prepared. I would be doing those things too if I lived in the path of this one.

Lucy said...

Poor Martha, you are taking a hammering. Hope everything's OK.

The Crow said...

Daisy: The coast is going to bear the brunt of this storm, not us. We'll likely, possibly, have high winds, lots of water, but I think that's about it. I don't mean to downplay high winds and flooding, but compared to what's coming toward the coastal states, this is nothing.

Still, I'm going to be prepared.

The Crow said...

Lucy: I wouldn't say poor me, and I'm sorry if it sounded that way in this post. I'm not being hammered, neither by hurricane nor earthquake, which was an interesting anomaly in an otherwise humdrum existence. It shook things up, literally and figuratively, for only a few seconds. (Dumped onto the floor some of those buttons and beads I was sorting over the weekend, but that's it.)

As for my worries about the trees, I've had two very large trees crash in less than a year, and if the winds from Irene are as strong as the ones which did that, then I'm likely to see more of the same. With some luck they'll fall away from anyone's property.

Zhoen said...

Sounds like prudent preparation. Do you have any solar/crank powered flashlights, radios, sort of thing? I hope it skirts your vicinity.

Maria said...

Keep us posted, yes?

The Crow said...

Z: Yes; my ex gave me a solar/hand-crank radio-flashlight-beacon device several years ago. It's by my bedside, along with two flashlights and a fresh pack of batteries. I plan to keep the cell phone charging throughout the weekend, as long as I can. I hope, too, that Irene doesn't come ashore. I hope Georgia kicks her straight out to sea!

Anonymous said...

You are a wise woman.

The Crow said...

Maria and Bing: You bet!

The Crow said...

Be safe yourself, dear Jim. Raleigh is no stranger to hurricanes and other bad weather.

Roderick Robinson said...

Normally I'd pooh-pooh talk of the weather but I think I'll make an exception in this case. Also there's nothing funny about this state of affairs, so I'm denied my usual Brit sarkiness. I haven't experienced a hurricane but, boy, was I victim of an earthquake. I was on the twenty-fifth floor of a hotel in Tokyo and the leaves of the cheese plant shook for all of a minute. I'm sure sassafras trees are quite common chez vous (No, I think given the circumstances I'll make that chez toi.) but here they're rare, I think. Having it blown out of the ground is not quite the same as having it removed surgically. I could wish you a stiff upper lip but most Americans have no use for this curious English virtue. Suffice to say I don't see you as a Nervous Nelly.

The Crow said...

I checked the forecast map a moment ago and the projected path has moved a few miles to the east, toward Philadelphia. I think the worst I prepared for will pass us by, which is good for my small town, not so much for Phillie.

We know about stiff upper lips over here. In fact, I think the expression originated here. The British developed it to an art form, institutionalized it. American cowboys wore their stoicism with their spurs and Stetsons.

But I digress.

Fortunately, the earthquake on Tuesday afternoon was more a curiosity for this area than it was farther south and east of here. We (Hanover) lucked out, and it appears - this morning - that we bill dodge a bullet again. I continue to hope so, anyway.

marja-leena said...

I hope the forecast is correct and you will not bear too hard a brunt from Irene. Sounds like it could be pretty bad further northeast. Stay safe, 'tis good that you are prepared, even with that American/English stiff upper lip.