Sunday, April 17, 2011

Wind Songs

We're having an extended March this year, right into mid-April, with wet, cold weather and high winds. I saw a bed of daffodils bent low to the ground by the wind last week, their little heads bobbing up and down like the heads of those articulated dogs that ride in the back windows of cars in some parts of this country.

When the wind is steady, it produces an exotic sound as it races through the ham radio antenna the Ex put up years ago; a low, throaty, almost melodic sound. Coupled with the antenna cable slapping against the side of the house, and the singing pipes of the wind chimes, the sounds remind me of Tibetan chanting, especially when punctuated by the gentle clacking of the bamboo chime at the back door. I like these wind songs.

I like Tibetan monks chanting, too. That thrumming, throaty, humming sound that seems to come from some hidden place, perhaps from within the caves of their hearts, or from the wells of their souls.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That delayed roaring in like a lion thing certainly had my attention Saturday. You just have to wonder sometimes who's in charge of the weather these days.

Should Fish More said...

My daffodils and tulips are suspicious, and have not poked their little heads up yet. They're smart; it's snowing this morning.

Fresca said...

Every spring I love to walk by the lakes nearby and hear the broken ice chime... sounds like tinkling crystal chandeliers.

Zhoen said...

Overtones and undertones. Heaven humming along.

Anne said...

A beautiful bit of writing. I love those sounds too.

Unknown said...

I think I like the idea of the sound of the wind blowing through the ham radio rigging, as much as the chanting of the Tibetan monks which I have just listned to. But both are inspiring.

Harlequin said...

lovely!
thanks for this musical gift that also works with spring....