Friday, October 1, 2010

Abashment Deserved


Well!  I found out who made the mistake that cost me my PHEAA grant, the fidgit!

Uh...that would be me.

I entered the wrong information on my application back in May, which I discovered when I went over my application worksheet last night to see if there was room/evidence for me to file for an appeal. 

Boy, do I feel stupid?  The answer to that would be a resounding "Yes!"  Thank goodness I was on my best behavior when I went in to the financial aid office yesterday morning, or my face would be even redder than it is right now.

12 comments:

Steve said...

Aw shucks!

Hey, we all mistakes.

;-)

indybev said...

Does this mean you get the grant? (Hope so!)

Fresca said...

I am totally grabbing that *facepalm* picture because I need it for my own actions about every other day.

Like, just this morning I got a really big supportive FB comment from a cousin I had recently included in an unkind round-up of uncaring relatives...

I try to recycle the shame into wisdom. I've had a little success (emphasis on little)--that's why I only need that picture every-other day instead of every-other minute.

Zhoen said...

Been there. Sucks. Got over it. I take paperwork very seriously.

Harlequin said...

you are so delightfully and unabashedly honest about your own role in things; i really admire this about you.

The Crow said...

For those who commented on the previous post, I left responses to your comments there.

Steve, you are too kind, but thank you for that.

Indybev: No, the grant for this semester (and possibly the next) was lost through my own error. However, I have the funding I need to get me through for fall.

Fresca: I am honored to share the "face of shame," although I don't remember where I got the image. I added the pink to it in one of the photo editing programs I downloaded from the 'net.

Zhoen: thank you, again, for the suggestion that led to discovering that I shot myself in the foot. My mistake did suck, to be sure, and I am getting past that. I take paperwork seriously, too, but not as carefully this time as I usually do. Thank you, friend.

Harlequin: Not to confess my role would have been unfair to everyone involved, especially those who read the post and were kind enough to respond.

Don't get me wrong, H - there are lots of things I let slide in my life, and I tell stupid white lies all the time. But I strive for honesty, especially when I am the source of my own discomfiture.

Nonetheless, thank you for your kind remarks. I don't know that I deserve your admiration, but it is something to live up to, certainly.

ArtSparker said...

I find I make more mistakes if I am stressed, which it seems form-filling could lead to.

The Crow said...

Art Sparker: May was stressful, for a number of reasons, and some of that bled over into everything I did that month, I'm sure.

However, I ignored a cardinal rule of mine, given to me by my father: Measure twice, cut once. In this case, I only "measured" once before hitting the submit button.

Hattie said...

Oh, it's bound to happen, this sort of thing, and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Lucy said...

All in all it doesn't sound like a gross or inexcusable howler, all things considered, just a right bummer for you. Taking on a hell of a lot without much support and with a lot of other worries will lead to stuff like this.

I haven't mentioned anywhere to anyone about the last time I scratched the car, because I still feel so stupid about it. But it's a year ago now and it is getting smaller with distance at last.

So glad you're enjoying the course, which is by far the most important thing. You are very clever and brave!

human being said...

stupid people never realize they have made a mistake... just wise people become aware of their mistakes... and just crows humbly share their mistakes with others on their blogs...
;)

also
thanks my dear wise crow friend for your beautiful, poetic and profound comments on my recent posts!
:)

susan said...

Oh dear, now I may just have to confess some of the really dumb things I've done. I hope I have enough paper and pencils for those stories.

Thank goodness for you it turned out okay. You deserve at least a million good breaks.